Wednesday, December 30, 2009

File this under "WTF" (Soapmaking Part 3)

I am gobsmacked.  I have seen some weird soap stuff in my day, but this is a new one on me.  I cut into the soap loaf just a while ago.  When I unmolded it, the melon color had lightened up considerably, which bummed me out a little, but it was doable.  I was hoping for bolder colors, but as soapers come to realize, sometimes soap is like a box of chocolates, Forest.



I made my peace with it, and started to cut into it....
That's when I entered...dun dun DUHHHNNNN....
The Twilight Zone.




What the heck happened to the ORANGE????  Inside the loaf of soap, it completely disappeared!  Now, I know ya'll saw how dark it was in the bowl!  It only colored a tiny layer on the outside of the soap and the inside is completely devoid of color.  GAH!




My first thought was that it was a result of air oxidation, but the outside of it was stuffed down in a mold with freezer paper all around it, so that didn't get any air either.

I'm stumped.  If anyone has ideas about my soap gremlins, please comment below.  All is not lost though - I'll pretty it up with some sweet Valentines hearts or something, and it will be just as pretty.  It smells incredible. 

Let me know what ya think, and thanks for reading!

6 comments:

  1. Hmmmm....I haven't used labcolours - could the colour morph/disappear when using gm? Nothing else in your recipe should do that imo - sorry for your gremlin visit! It is still a beautiful soap and I am sure it smells gorgeous :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This could be one that takes time to morph back. I had that happen with a Lilac soap except it went ugly grey and ahout 6 months later it went a beautiful Lilac colour! No idea why, but I would cut this loaf and then put it away to give it time to become whatever it's going to be. I could surprise you!

    I'm sorry this happened to you...

    Lindy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like the GM ate the dye! Who would've thought that dark of soap would go that light. It's still very pretty and I personally love pastel pink.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, what a bummer about the inside color. Sorry that happened, and I wish I had an answer!

    ReplyDelete